Monday, May 21, 2007


Dear Diary,
In the year of 1511, Diego Velasquez was ordered to conquer the island of Cuba. Velasquez knew I was spoiling for a fight, and unfortunately he invited me along his expedition. He was influential, but unsuiteed in combat, so all the fighting was left to me. Surely, I ended up with a reputation for boldness, and we settled near the newly founded town of Santiago de Cuba. Since I did not keep my promise in marrying Catalina, I was put in jail by Velasquez who was now governor. Relations between Velasquez and I remained tense, but my affair with Catalina did nothing to ruin my reputation. I was made alcalde of Santiago, which is a very influential position. I always refuse to take orders, even when it is from governor Velasquez. This infuriated my commander so much that I was accused of trying to overthrow Velasquez and usurp authority for himself. Of course I was pardoned for anything I had done, which was nothing. Velasquez and I had remained bitter, and will remain this way forever because no one will tell me what to do.

No comments: