Wednesday, May 16, 2007


Dear Diary,

Today is November 1, 1519, and we are continuing our march towards Tenochtitlan. on our journey, many of the voyagers continued to say that my insolence and lack of respect for Velasquez's orders verged on treason. Although they complained, they could do nothing but follow my orders. Many of the Aztec officials insisted that we turn back, but I would never have done so. Although, we were rewarded with many lavish gifts, making our small fortune grow continuously. At last we found Tenochtitlan!. It was a glorious city, filled with temples and markets (more than I had ever seen in Europe). About halfway across a bridge we were crossing, we were stopped by an enormous precession carrying a carriage. Montezuma, the Aztec emperor, quickly emerged from the carriage, and I embraced him. I was stopped abruptly by his handlers, who feared me so. I then bowed in a formal matter, and I gave him a necklace made of genuine diamonds. This token of my gratitude was hopefully taken in a positive way.

No comments: