Monday, May 21, 2007


Dear Diary,
It was the year 1518, expeditions were sent out to explore lands to the west of Cuba. Francisco Hernandez de Cordoba was determined that the land called Yucatan was abundant with gold. Velasquez decided that a third larger voyage was needed. The obviuos chioce for leader was me. No one else in the world can be a leader like me. I had perspicuous rules on what I was allowed to do. For example I am allowed to search for Juan de Grijalba, and for Cristobal de Olid, who had gone missing looking for Grijalba. I could also collaborate with other natives and trade with them for gold. In the summer of 1518, I took command of five vessels. Velasquez had the nerve to trade me in with someone who was less likely to take credit for himself. That was the most foolish thing he could do, and to me! I do not think Velasquez knew who he is dealing with. So i showed him, i set sail on November 18, 1518. Because i hastily set sail, i did not have all the supplies i needed, so i stopped a coupld times at small towns. Each time, i was told that orders had come from Santiago de Cuba that Grijalba had returned and he wanted me turn around and report back to Velasquez. I can not let Velasquez tell me what to do, i refused and kept sailing. We landed on the island of Cozumel, and me and my men went ashore and found a native village and inspected for gold, but all we found were cloth and trinkets. I returned the items we had taken and I told the natives i was there to convert them to Christianity. My men and I warned them that they must continue the practice of Christianity or they will face the consequences. If they natives stopped the practice I alone will have to make them suffer...

No comments: